You must be registered at your present address in order to vote.
Once you are registered, you can either vote absentee prior to an election or you can vote on election day at a precinct location determined by the residence you indicated on your voter registration. You can also register to vote on election day at the appropriate precinct.
Am I registered to vote?
To verify if you are currently registered to vote at your present address, visit the Minnesota Secretary of State’s Voter Registration Status page. You can also call city hall at 952.939.8200 to find out if you are registered to vote.
Before election day: registering to vote
Register online to vote
The Minnesota Secretary of State’s website now allows you register to vote online. To register online, visit the Minnesota Secretary of State’s Online Voter Registration page.
Register by mail to vote
You can complete a Voter Registration Application Form, then follow the instructions on the form to mail in your voter registration.
You can also call city hall at 952.939.8200 to have a voter registration application mailed to you.
Register in person to vote
Prior to election day, you can visit Minnetonka City Hall at 14600 Minnetonka Boulevard from 8 a.m.–4:30 p.m. to register to vote, request an absentee ballot or vote absentee in person.
On election day: registering to vote
If you are not registered to vote or need to update your registration information, you may do so at your local polling location on Election Day. However, you are required to provide proof of residence when registering on Election Day.
Documents required for voter registration on election day
Voters registering to vote on Election Day must provide proof of residence. You may show one item from Table A or two items from Table B (valid photo ID plus valid utility bill).
To register at your polling place on Election Day, you must have one of the following to verify your residence:
- A valid Minnesota driver’s license, learner’s permit, Minnesota ID card, or receipt for any of these containing a valid address in the precinct
- A student ID card including your photo, if your college provided a student housing list to election officials
- A Tribal ID card that contains your name, signature and address in the precinct
- A valid registration in the same precinct under a different name or address
- A notice of late registration that was sent to you from the city clerk
- A voter registered in the same precinct as you who can confirm your address with a signed oath
- An authorized employee of a residential facility where you reside who can confirm your address (the residential facility must provide a list of employees to election officials)
or Table B
Alternatively, you may provide both:
- A photo ID from the list in Column 1 below, and
- A bill in your name (see Column 2 below), with your current address that is due within 30 days of the election.
- MN driver’s license
- MN ID card
- U.S. passport
- U.S. military ID
- Tribal ID Card
- Student ID from MN post-secondary school
- Minnesota University or Technical College ID Card
- TV (cable, satellite, etc.)
- Cell phone
- Solid Waste
- Sewer Services
- Internet Services
- Student Fee Statement
- Rent statement that itemizes utilities